Things I’d tweet about if Twitter allowed longer messages:
- When you take several law enforcement agencies and throw them together into a drug task force, it tends to enhance thuggish behavior. However when the WestNET task force of Kitsap County, Washington launched a drug raid against the home of Bruce and Pamela Olson, they did manage to avoid shooting the family dogs. Instead, they poisoned them.
- It’s not that I don’t think we should trust cops and prosecutors. But if we trust them too much, we risk letting (alleged) bad cops and bad prosecutors like these (with bonus bad judge) get away with it.
- Speak of which, Anthony Hernandez claims he was framed on drug charges by Chicago cop Slawomir Plewa. Since Plewa has already been stripped of his police powers and charged with trying to frame someone else, Hernandez’s claim has a certain plausibility.
- The mania for post-prison punishment of sex offenders continues its spiral into insanity, as the Connecticut legislature contemplates requiring 2 days advanced registration for out-of-state offenders who are just passing through.
- And just to give you an idea of what counts as a sex offender these days, an asshat named George P. Skumanick (who also happens to be District Attorney of Wyoming County, Pennsylvania) has threatened to file child pornography charges against 17 high school students for having nude or semi-nude pictures of other high school students on their cell phones. In some cases, the students would have been charged for pictures of themselves.